Today, video game industry stands at a whopping $100 billion, with almost two-thirds of American homes playing regular video games.
Incredibly, PC gaming is an important part of this industry, with a 25% share in the total number of video games sold every year. What makes this platform extremely popular is its low individual game price, better upgrade path, and great backwards compatibility. And with a flawless multiplayer capability and a gamut of customizations, you can be sure that PC gaming is still unfazed with the launch of modern gaming consoles.
In this article, we present a list of the best 10 PC games of all time. These games are not only top rated but also amongst the most played computer games in the world.
10. Counter-Strike GO (IGN Rating 8/10): Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is world renowned multiplayer first-person shooter video game launched in 2012 by Valve. It’s a successor to equally popular Counter Strike 1.6 and Counter Strike Source video games.
The game features two teams: Terrorists and Counter-Terrorists pitted against each other. The main objective is to eliminate the other team while completing specific objectives. The Terrorists must either plant a C4 explosive device or defend the hostages, while the Counter-Terrorists or the CTs must prevent the bomb from exploding or rescue the hostages.
The game offers nine distinct game modes, with a dedicated matchmaking support that allows players to play on dedicated Valve servers. Quite recently, a battle-royale game-mode known as the Danger Zone was also added.
9. Assassins Creed 3 (IGN Rating 8.5/10): Assassins Creed 3 was launched in 2012 by Ubisoft. It’s a third installment in the Assassins Creed video game series featuring a centuries-old struggle between the Assassins and the Templars.
The game combines several elements of historical fiction, science fiction, intertwined with real events in history. The actual game is played from a third-player perspective in an open world environment, with a sharp focus on stealth and parkour. Incredibly, the Assassins Creed 3 was a huge success, selling over 12 million copies since its release.
8. Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005 (IGN Rating 8.5/10): The Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005 is part of the Need for Speed video game franchise. It is considered as the most popular racing video games of all time, featuring an illicit street racing theme with players tasked to compete in various races while escaping police pursuits.
The game was a huge success on its release, received high ratings and favorable reviews. Due to its superb game mechanics, immersive storyline, and a wide-range of customizations, it is unarguably the best Need for Speed game ever.
7. Minecraft (IGN Rating 9/10): Minecraft is a sandbox video game launched by Mojang in 2011. The game features a 3D procedurally generated world with players using different blocks to construct different forms of structures.
The game is renowned for its open-world environment and the ability to use creativity to explore, gather, craft, and combat in the setting. Minecraft also features a multiplayer survival mode, in which the players have to build the world, craft weapons, and survive in a battle royale setting.
The game was a massive hit among the fans, with over 100 million copies sold all over the world.
6. The Sims 3 (IGN Rating 9.1/10): The Sims is a series of life simulation video games launched by Electronic Arts. The game features a sandbox setting, with the player taking the control of virtual people called “Sims”, and helps them fulfil their desires and objectives in life.
Sims 3 is considered as one of the world’s most played life simulation games. Till date, the franchise has sold over 200 million copies all around the world.
The latest sequel to Sims 3 is the Sims 4, launched in 2014.
5. DOTA 2 (IGN Rating 9.4/10): DOTA 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena video game by Valve. It is a direct sequel to DOTA (Defense of the Ancients), which was based on Warcraft III: Frozen Throne. DOTA 2 is played between two teams of five players each, with both the teams occupying and defending their own base on the map.
Each player controls a separate character, known as a ‘hero’, with unique abilities and style of play. The players gain experience, purchase upgrades and items in the game to successfully destroy the enemy team’s base, called as the ‘Ancient’.
Since its release, the game has been critically acclaimed for its gameplay and character development. Considered as one of the greatest video games of all times, DOTA 2 has over 11 million active players from around the world.
4. FIFA 12 (IGN Rating 9.5/10): FIFA 12 was launched in 2011 by EA Sports. It is considered as the most revolutionary football game ever, thanks to its improved game dynamics, player models, and realistic gameplay. Fans were given the access to a full roster of players, featuring top football leagues from Europe, South America, and Asia.
Upon its release, the game was an instant hit and went on to sell more than 15 million units worldwide. FIFA 19 is the latest FIFA game, released in September 2018.
3. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (IGN Rating 9.5/10): Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is a first-person shooter developed by Activision. The game was launched in 2009 and became hugely popular among the fans for its unique urban warfare setting, realism, and life-like combat sequences.
Considered as the greatest first-person shooter of all times, the game also featured a dedicated multiplayer mode, which allowed fans to create teams and battle against other players around the world.
COD: Black Ops 4 is the latest sequel to the series, launched in 2018.
2. PUBG (IGN Rating 9.5/10): PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds or PUBG is an online multiplayer battle royale game developed by the PUBG Corporation. PUBG is attributed to revolutionize the online gaming scene with the launch of battle-royale game mode.
The PUBG Battle Royale features up to one hundred players parachuting on an island, scavenging for weapons, and killing each other for survival. The size of the map decreases over time, directing players to tighter areas, forcing them into encounters. The last player surviving the map, wins the round. Currently, one of the best-selling and most-played video games of all time, PUBG has sold over 50 million copies worldwide.
1. GTA V (IGN Rating 10/10): Grand Theft Auto 5, released in 2013 is the fifth installment in the Grand Theft Auto Series developed by Rockstar Games. The game features three characters controlled by the player in an open-world setting, with a load of single player missions and multiplayer connectivity.
The idea to freely roam the fictional city of Los Santos, drive around cars, shoot, fight, and interact with over a hundred in-game characters has proved to be a huge success among the fans. The game has also received numerous awards for its interactive gameplay, high-quality graphics, brilliant soundtrack, and an intriguing storyline.
With over 100 million copies sold all around the globe, GTA V tops our list of Top 10 PC Games of All Time.